Sign up to receive updates, discounts & special offers from The Reef at South Beach.
Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about The Reef
> CLICK HERE
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club
Architect - Mike Strantz
Since opening in January 1994, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has rapidly gained a reputation as one of the premier courses in America. Famous for its natural beauty and challenging layout, Caledonia is also rich in history and tradition. The original plantation was named by its founder, Dr. Robert Nesbit, a Scottish immigrant who named it Caledonia, the ancient Roman name for Scotland. Dr. Nesbit acquired the plantation in the 1700's by marrying Elizabeth Pawley whose family originally founded Pawleys Island and after whom Pawleys Island is named.
Historic land records from Georgetown County indicate that Caledonia was, at one time, one of the largest plantations in South Carolina with land stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the rice fields on the western edge of the Waccamaw River. Perhaps the most striking aesthetic feature of the plantation is the impressive avenue of live oaks leading to the clubhouse steps. These century-old trees, laden with Spanish moss, mark the site of the old King's Highway as it made its way along the coast in the 1700's.